|Spoiler Alert: This page contains spoilers. Read at your own risk.|
Natsume Tsuchimikado (土御門 夏目 Tsuchimikado Natsume?) is Harutora Tsuchimikado's estranged childhood friend, an onmyouji, and the heir to the main Tsuchimikado family. She was assumed to be the reincarnation of Yakou Tsuchimikado until Takiko Souma revealed that Harutora was the real reincarnation of Yakou.
While female, Natsume is widely known to be a male until her clothes ripped off while fighting Shaver; before that event, only Touji, Harutora, his parents, Takahiro, and Chizuru knew of her womanhood. She is an excellent onmyouji and is considered the best in the Onmyou Academy. She is one of the three people in the academy who can summon a defensive shikigami, with the others being Harutora and Kyouko. It is clear that she harbors feelings for Harutora and she cares deeply about her family and friends.
Natsume has bangs up to her eyes and near her shoulders. She has longer hair up to the bottom of the butt. Her hair is a dark shade of purple (in the light novel it's often said her hair is black) and her eyes are a purple wine color (in most covers for the light novels her eyes are colored a yellowish color but it is said that she has almond eyes). She is of an average height. Several of Natsume's friends originally thought that she was a boy until her clothes were partly torn when fighting Shaver.
Natsume is very shy and modest, she gets jealous when Harutora is talking with another girl. Nevertheless, she is hot headed at times. She is a mixture of kuudere and tsundere. She cares about Harutora and had a crush on him since childhood, but can be stern and scary with him and her friends when needed. She also deeply cares about her family and will protect their reputation at all cost.She has been taking the burden of being the Tsuchimikado heir since birth.
As the heir to the main family of Tsuchimikado, she had been bearing the burden of the family name since birth. To top that, she is presumed to be the reincarnation of their infamous ancestor Yakou, otherwise known as the King of North Star. So, she holds a charisma and is an obvious object of envy in the eyes of other onmyojis. As a family tradition, she has to present herself as male in front of other onmyoji families. It is later revealed that she was adopted in the main family Tsuchimikado clan. When she and Harutora were born they exchanged their places in order to protect Harutora, she was sent to the main family and Harutora was sent to the branch family.
In volume 11, it is revealed by Yasuzumi that she was an abandoned child at Wakasugi's doorsteps not long after she was born.
Powers and Abilities Edit
Natsume has a vast knowledge in onmyoudou. She was a very studious student in the Onmyou Academy. She had a rank of being one of the top students of her class in Onmyou Academy, with the other being Kyouko Kurahashi.
Onmyoudo: Natsume ranks among the most skilled onmyoujis in Tokyo, to the extent that no one in the academy can best her in sheer skill. Even while having technically dropped out, it is mentioned she would most likely be able to rival a professional exorcist. Jin Ohtomo had mentioned that she can even do what would be impossible for a professional exorcist, but battling one of the Twelve Divine Generals would be a bit too much for her.
Living Spirit: After her death and resurrection, Natsume is now considered a Living Spirit while being bound to Hokuto. Much like Touji, she possesses the ability to access more of Hokuto's powers, but the power isn't infinite and if it runs out, she dies.
- 1st seal: purge - After she releases the first seal, her spiritual power increases explosively. An astonishing high-level yin aura pours from Natsume's entire body.
- Perfect God's Curse: The strongest purification spell Natsume has under her knowledge, it is capable of purifying a mobile spiritual disaster.
- Lightning Magic
- Fire Realm Magic
- Unmoving Golden Chains
- Hokuto: is a Gohou type familiar, a rare true dragon spirit that served the Main Tsuchimikado Family for a long time. When Natsume died during the event of volume 8 and 9, Harutora revived her by anchoring her soul with this dragon spirit. It is the main trump card of the Tsuchimikados.
- Yukikaze: A horse spirit that Natsume frequently uses to travel long distance, and this horse can run across the sky with impressive speed.
- Hekireki: A high-level defensive shikigami of Natsume's own creation. A special shikigami that followed its master's instructions and released several preset magics. It hadn't originally been Natsume's shikigami. It was a defensive shikigami that had been specially lent to her from an extraordinary former exorcist - who was currently acting as Natsume's master. It is one of Natsume's trump cards.
Ever since they were childhood friends, Natsume developed feelings for Harutora and tries to get as close as possible to him. This was proven by her creating a girl shikigami which she controlled from a distance with her mind, called Hokuto. After Hokuto was destroyed, she kept the ribbon Hokuto earned and used it to tie her hair. She often gets upset when people tease her. She later confessed to Harutora when she was dying.
From the beginning itself, Kyoko thought that Natsume was the boy she met during her childhood and the one who made a promise to her but later on it is revealed that it was Harutora. When she meets Natsume "again" at the Onmyo Academy, she starts to have feelings for "him". When it is revealed that Natsume is a girl, Kyoko calls her a liar and believed that Natsume did not seem her worthy enough to know her secret. They later make up by apologizing to each other and also acknowledge that they would face each other fair and square when it comes to gaining Harutora's attention.
Tenma is one of the first people to notice Natsume and her change of attitude while defending Harutora and Touji from Kyoko.
Suzuka battled with Natsume and Hartora while trying to perform the Taizan Fukun Ritual. When she kissed Harutora, she put a shikigami in his mouth which he spat while talking to Natsume. The shikigami bites her and sucks out her spiritual energy. Suzuka notices the Shrine Maiden and upon catching Natsume red-handed for overhearing them, she instantly recognizes her. She then blackmails Harutora and Natsume into serving her. She evens goes into Natsume's room which is forbidden to be seen by anyone. Suzuka ties Natsume so that she can see her wardrobe. While breaking the spell, Natsume is untied by Kon who is thrown which affects her power to materialize. Natsume then summons Hokuto to guard the door. Despite Natsume's actions, Suzuka grows attached to the former, often calling her Natsume-chi in private to keep her secret. Later when Natsume died, she showed utter grief and torn when Harutora demanded Suzuka to help him revive her with his life as the price, but when she was revived, Suzuka became extremely happy when she found out that Natsume and Harutora were safe. Although Suzuka refuses to admit it, she is Natsume's friend, as Akino declared to Takahiko when Suzuka was troubled with the small connection she had grown to the latter in her confinement after breaking Harutora out. This reminder severes Suzuka's remaining hesitation to act as Natsume arrives for them.
Kon and Natsume are rivals when it comes to make Harutora work hard, but they team up when they are jealous when Harutora compliments the other or any other girl.
Touji was the first one to instantly recognize that Hokuto was a shikigami and not a human. He initially gives advice to Natsume about confessing to Harutora which is always declined but is accepted during her death. Harutora starts to doubt that Touji and Natsume may know each other at the beginning.
|Click 'Expand' to view images|
- Tsuchimikado (土御門) translates as "earth emperor"
- Natsume (夏目) can be read as "summer eye"
- The "me" (目) in her name can mean different things, which are (eye, eyeball, eyesight, sight, vision, look, stare, glance, an experience, viewpoint, stitch, texture, weave, ordinal number suffix, somewhat, -ish)
- Her favorite food is soba.
- In the Drama CD, Natsume herself admitted that she is bad at cooking.
- She uses the masculine and informal Japanese pronoun 'boku' to refer to herself during the early episodes of the series because she needed to pretend that she is a boy, then later switched to a more formal pronoun 'watashi' that is can be used by both men and women.